Thursday, August 23, 2012

Never be afraid to speak your mind.

Well, maybe sometimes... like stuff I said to my boss that made me think he'd fire me.  It was true. But his perspective wasn't mine, but  anyway...

There are just times when things need to be said.
I work in a building that houses several companies and I am on a "Hi" and I know your name with a few of them. 

One of them is Whitney.
I've seen her from my desk and wondered what plan she was on, that woman was losing weight.  I was envious.  But I hadn't been in a position to say hi, until today. We met in the bathroom, she applying make-up, or talking to herself, or what ever one does when they are deeply absorbed with themselves in the mirror.

I said "Hi," and headed for the stall. 
I stopped and asked, "Have you been losing like a TON of weight?"
She squealed and hugged me.
She squealed and told me that she's been trying but was in a beat herself up mode. 
She has a vaca with the sibs in November and the sibs are all thin and beautiful. 
Given her reaction, I think I caught her mid "I suck" speech in the mirror.  I've had them myself and totally understand.

She hugged me again while telling me about the sibs and the lack of fat and....
She squealed and hugged me again, telling me that I had made her life time.

She would have hugged me again had I not already shut the stall door.

Right place. Right time. Right words.

Happy to be of service!

I am soooo very happy that the buzz in my head to tell her what I thought yielded fruit.  She needed and I was there for her.  I really, really like that.  It would have been so easy to just shut the stall door and not say what I was thinking. 

I made some one's lifetime. 
Sometimes it is good to speak your mind.

7 comments:

  1. Yep - I've been on the giving and receiving end of moments like that before. Sweet.
    I can relate to the boss stuff, also. Lately my work has done a few things that are totally asinine.
    I made a comment about this not being the way a company that wanted good long term relations with quality employees treated their employees. One of the supervisors overheard me. He didn't say anything at the time. Not sure if there will be fallout. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes!! Hope there is no fall out. I'll keep 'em crossed for you. XXXXX

      Delete
  2. I was forever putting my foot in it at work and being called aside and asked to explain myself....ah retirement is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some 'splaining to do. ahahaha

      My boss just scowls at me. ;)

      Delete
  3. That's so wonderful you could make her lifetime. :) (I do wish for her that she wasn't so self-conscious about it, but still.) I hope your boss comes around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is she never looked bad. She's competing with skinny sisters and a vacation in Florida in November.

      I always have to remind myself if my mouth wants to say something to let it (unless my boss is involved;). It would have been so easy to just say "Hi" and left it at that.

      Delete
  4. Good for you! We all need those moments.

    ReplyDelete