Thursday, January 6, 2011

How do people do it?

I'm an early bird.  When I say I slept in, it generally means that I woke up at 4:30 am.  That's late. But I also go to sleep when the sun goes down, or shortly thereafter.

Yesterday we had our first meeting with the Writers of the West, and it started at about the time I'm beginning to contemplate beddy-by. Since it was the first meeting and didn't last the full three hours I decided that I should stay up late just to get a feel for it. 

At 4:30 I woke up, looked at the clock and fell back to sleep until 6:20. I jolted out of bed.  Rushed the dog through his walk and scrambled to get ready for work.  This is NOT good.  I'm used to a leisurely morning.  Meander around. Drink coffee.  Enjoy the walk with the dog. Write. Check e-mail.  Exercise with the girl. Some butt on couch time as I watch the news.

Dear gods, I do not know how people do this crazy morning rush on a daily basis.  I'm exhausted.  It can't be lack of sleep.  I got as much or more sleep than I usually get. This is simply awful.  To make matters worse I KNOW that I'm going to go home and crash and so today will be a total waste of a day.

I do have to say kudos to the dog.  When we walk we have our little routes.  Park perimeter, the bog, out and back, out... all these things mean something to Chester and so we don't have to argue over where we are going every day. I realize this sounds crazy, but consider the source ;). 

Today I told Chester, "One block walk buddy.  I'm sorry but that's it." 
The dog got it.  I was so amazed.  In the past when he's been belligerent, he wants to go OUT but I don't have the time and so we have to just do park perimeter or some such thing, I have said, "Knock it off or it will be a one block walk!"  I just never realized that he actually understood what a one block walk was.  It has only ever been used as a threat.  Let me say he is an awesome dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment