Sunday, December 12, 2010

What's important to you?

I had an interesting moment the other night. We were heading out when we discovered that my husband's car had been broken into and the stereo stolen. My mind went immediately to my vehicle where I'd left my little computer. I didn't care about the computer as much as I cared about the fact that my story is now allowing itself to be told and I had NOT backed it up.

If they took my computer sure I could rewrite the story, but it wouldn't be the same story.  The insights that I had would not be the same, all would be lost. A story is like your family.  For a span of time these people allow you into their world, relationships are formed, they are a part of you.  I would have been crushed had I lost that.

So what is important to you?







Maison, please forgive me that the old title is on the picture.I promise I will not change the name if you will continue to tell your story. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I've had something similar. I think my Dad told me that this lamp we have that gets really hot and has a tendency to melt things got to one of my devices. I just thought of my backup drive. I just it not as a backup but as a way to carry my music, my photos and most importantly, everything I have ever written, around with me.

    I know I could rewrite a substantial amount of what I had on there, but there was the stuff that I couldn't think up again, the characters and stray quotes. The standalone character sheets and plotlines that had just come to me. My novel...Oh, Christ. My novel. If I had to rewrite that beast, all 90K words, from memory, I may just kill myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a back up drive on the big computer but I had been using the netbook so I could take it everywhere.

    I cannot phathom having to rewrite an entire novel. I have learned an important lesson. A bullet I am happy to have dodged!!

    ReplyDelete